As we know Magento 1 end of life was 31 of July 2020. Shop owners who still have their e-commerce on Magento 1 software think in that way:
- “Should I migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2?”
- “Can I stay on Magento 1?
- “What about security patches on Magento 1 and Magento 2?”
- “Is it possible to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 in a fast way?”
- “Should I migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 with PWA?”
On every above question, I can answer – it depends… You can agree that every one of them is important and interesting.
Four years ago we decided to observe Magento 2 development and we didn’t migrate our clients in the first two years. From a business perspective, it was a good decision because clients and we were focusing on developing the existing Magento 1 platform.
During that time we were able to test functionalities, extensions, scalability. We found bottlenecks, things that were not used. Black Friday and Cyber Monday became no so scary as we thought at the beginning.
What is Magento 2 migration in the real world?
From our experience and experience of other e-commerce companies, migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is a new IT project which starts from the beginning. A huge advantage during this migration is – client and we know what kind of functionalities were created on Magento 1, which are not used and which of them will be new.
It’s possible to smoothly migrate the database from Magento 1 to Magento 2 with some adjustments and extends. Magento created a tool for database migration – it’s available here (https://github.com/magento/data-migration-tool).
It’s not possible to migrate code, extensions that have been created from scratch. This part has to be rewritten. In most cases, third-party extensions exist on Magento 1 and also on Magento 2.
What about the frontend part? Yes, in most cases it should be rewritten. So in a nutshell Magento 1 has a different frontend structure than Magento 2.
“Should I migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2?”
- Yes, if you need to be PCI compliant and you do not want to use separate checkout
on Magento 1.
- Yes, if you want to redesign your current shop – do it on Magento 2 with separated frontend part like ScandiPWA solution or PWA Studio.
- No, if you do not have a budget for this process – you can upgrade your Magento 1 to OpenMage LTS – https://github.com/OpenMage/magento-lts
“Can I stay on Magento 1?”
- Yes but make sure that your e-commerce will be PCI compliant.
- Yes, you can use OpenMage LTS – https://github.com/OpenMage/magento-lts which is developed by the community.
- No, if you have long term plan to your e-commerce.
“What about security patches on Magento 1 and Magento 2?”
- Magento 1 patches will be created by MageOne company: https://mage-one.com/ – the price depends on your annual revenue.
- Magento 2 will create security patches but you have to bear in mind that you should upgrade Magento 2 version. Old Magento 2 versions are not supported.
“Is it possible to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 in a fast way?”
- Yes, if you do not have a lot of customization on Magento 1.
- No, if you want to migrate functionalities which have been developed in years.
- Do not believe that – “we will do it for you in one week” 🙂
“Should I migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 with PWA?”
- Yes. On the market, we have a few solutions for PWA. One of them which is open source and good is ScandiPWA. We use this solution for our clients who migrate from Magento 1
to Magento 2.
- No, if you want to use standard Magento 2 frontend. Use ScandiPWA od PWA Studio solutions.
If you need help in decision – “migrate or not to migrate to Magento 2” please contact us. We will help you!